established in 1832
The Original Queen Victoria Inn - Circa 1832
Chapel House is comprised of multiple buildings. The oldest being the original Cobb and Co Inn, later known as the Queen Victoria Inn. This Stone building was built around 1832 when the Old Bathurst Road ran through the property. The Inn lost its serviceability when the road to Mount Lambie was diverted and the railway was pushed beyond Rydal. The Inn is where The Owl Pen cottage is situated.
The Chapel House was later home to the famous Australian artist John Olsen. The setting provides an artist’s haven, with a large studio.
The main homestead on Chapel House is a Georgian-style building that dates to its times as a Franciscans Brothers seminary in the late 1910’s and early 1920’s. This building once used as a seminary, is now home to a northerly aspect Wisteria covered terrace with BBQ, large country style kitchen, 4 cosy bedrooms, 4 other bathrooms, the Chapel room which is a huge sitting room/formal dining room with open fire and the conservatory used for informal dining. Plus a full sized billiard table and outdoor 6 person spa.
We look forward to your stay.